While the phrase "home is where the heart is" may seem cliché, in so many ways it's true. Homes are typically full of life, memories and love.
If you're looking for ways to make your home even homier, there are some simple things you can do. And this doesn't have to involve purchasing tons of expensive décor. Follow along for some simple tips to get started today:
- Decorate with Pictures: Adding personal memories and mementos to your tabletops and walls will help personalize your home. This gives your home the look and feel that someone is actually living there, rather than looking like a model home, sterile rental or hotel room. This is also a way to finally get those pictures off of your phone or camera and give them a real purpose.
- Create Comfy Seating: Your home will automatically take on a homier feel when you decide to create comfy couches and chairs for guests and family. Having enough seating for all of your guests will make your space feel more inviting and decorative.
- Make Your Bedroom a Sanctuary: A good night's sleep is a priority for people of every age. Ensure sound sleep by making your bedroom as comfy and cozy as possible. This may include coordinated pillows and bedding, soothing lighting, and light blocking shades, to promote high quality sound sleep in your peaceful bedroom sanctuary.
- Throw Blankets: Incorporating throw blankets and decorative pillows into your seating areas makes this space more welcoming and homier. This is a simple and functional way to make your space more inviting.
- Candles: Adding natural light and scents from candles will improve the ambiance of your home. Candles add another dimension to your senses, while making your space visually appealing as well.
- Eliminate Overhead Lighting: Instead of turning on those industrially-designed overhead light fixtures, try switching on a tableside lamp! This will eliminate harsh lighting and provide a warmer glow to your space. Even better, recessed LED lighting with a dimmer switch can give you maximum control to create just the perfect brightness for your space.
- Add Seasonal Decorations: Keeping up with current holidays and weather trends will help update your home every season while also getting you and your family into that holiday spirit!
- Clean Out the Bathtub: Making your bathtub suitable for bathing will dramatically transform the feeling of this important room in your home. It may seem odd, but having the space for a calming bath will actually give your house a homier feel. While a warm bath decorated with candles and bubbles may be visually appealing, it can also work wonders for your stress levels.
- Hang From the Walls: While hanging pictures was already mentioned above, adding decorative wall hangings or paintings can transform your walls. This can also eliminate the need to repaint your walls.
- Use the Kitchen: The kitchen isn't just a decoration. Use this space to your advantage by entertaining, creating and designing a functionally appealing room! Plus, the wonderful smells emitting this room will act as an added bonus!
Now that you have read 10 ways to make your home homier, it's time to roll up your sleeves and get started. You can transform any room, or the entire house, by practicing one or all of these tips. And if you're in the market for more dramatic changes, consider a kitchen or bath remodel. Transform your bathroom into a home spa or your kitchen into a place for fine cooking, dining and entertaining. Updates to your home, whether big or small, are sure to bring you and your family an enormous amount of pleasure and comfort in the days and months ahead.